A tiny bit of TLC can prolong the life of your bag.
We love seeing loyal customers with one of our bags still looking beautiful even after many years.
Here is our definitive guide to ensuring you get the best out of your bag, but first it's important to understand what makes Henk Berg bags so special.
We use vegetable tanned leather, which allows the subtle variations of the grains and patterns in the leather hide to shine through.
The natural treatment of the leather means it will responds to its environment over time, darkening from sun exposure, absorbing some of the natural oils from your hands and softening from use.
Gradually our bags will develop their own unique patina.
To enhance this affect it is important to use a good quality leather product to replenish natural oils lost over time.
After more than three decades designing leather bags, we still recommend the same leather conditioner to protect, polish and preserve our products.
Renapur Leather Balsam is made from natural ingredients, including beeswax and jojoba oil.
A small amount applied to the bag on a dry cloth will help restore colour, preserve softness and suppleness, prevent drying and provide some water resistance.
HOW TO CLEAN AND CONDITION YOUR BAG:
- We suggest applying a leather conditioner before you use the bag for the first time.
- Always test conditioners on an inconspicuous part of bag before applying it completely.
- Polish it into the bag with the cloth, don't be afraid to use a bit of elbow grease on marks or scratches.
- Take care to avoid zips and buckles.
- Allow it to dry before using or storing it.
- Reapply the conditioner when you notice superficial scratches or if the bag is beginning to dry out. It's amazing how small marks will smooth out after a coat, becoming less noticeable.
TIPS FOR KEEPING YOUR BAG BEAUTIFUL:
- Vegetable tanned leather is not as water resistant as heavily dyed or coated leather so be wary of getting it too wet and don't use cover up polish.
- Never store your leather bags in plastic as the natural material needs to breathe. All of our leather products come in their own storage bag, which also helps protect them from sun and spillages when they are not in use.
- Avoid putting your bag on the ground as this may lead to marks and wearing.
- Never overload your bag, although our bags are double stitched to give them strength, they will wear prematurely if put under too much strain.
- Do not forget if you get any serious stains or marks that leather can be dry-cleaned.